The Deputy Chairman of “Alternative für Deutschland” party Dr. Alexander Gauland answered the concerns about their party which were arised in the article entitled “Alternative für Deutschland”.
The author wrote about our party “Alternative für Deutschland” (AfD) as follows:
“This is the party that brought out a wide array of German society to the streets against foreigners living in Germany, ethnic and religious minorities, refugees seeking asylum in Germany from Syria and other war zones.”
And he writes as well:
“This is the party that reminds many of Germany’s bitter past, with a number of ideas of Nazism and anti-Semitism. This is the party that is trying to destroy the foundations of democracy by creating an atmosphere of intolerance and racism in Germany.”
Mr. Petrosyan wrote this malicious and biased article without contacting our party for his researches. If he would have done his journalistic researches he would know that:
– Many foreigners in Germany are supporting our party. We have some second and third generation migrants even as MPs in regional parliaments.
– Our party is not “trying to destroy the foundations of democracy by creating an atmosphere of intolerance and racism”.
– It was the AfD and no other political party in Germany which initiated a one minute silence in the regional parliament of Thuringen in 2015 for the victims of the Armenian Genocide.
– It was our party which sent four electoral observers in May 2015 to Nagorno Karabakh to support the process of parliamentary elections. We did this because we are fully convinced that the people of Nagorno Karabakh deserve the “foundations of democracy” as much as we Germans do, and as anyone else in the world does.
– It is in particular our regional AfD in Brandenburg which tries to raise awareness about the situation in the Southern Caucasus. Mr. Harutyun Grigoryan was invited by us to speak about this topic to our members and friends.
– It were two members of our party, Mr. Andreas Galau and Mr. Markus Frohnmaier, who condemned as first German politicians the aggression of Azerbaijan against Nagorno Karabakh in the beginning of April.
– It is our party which says a very clear and unambiguous “no!” to the plans of Turkish membership in the EU.
The AfD is today Germany´s fastest growing and most influential opposition party. In some federal countries almost one third of the people voted for us. If we are to believe Mr. Petrosyan, then these must all be extremists or idiots – or both. The article mentions that Mr. Petrosyan lives in Germany, so he should know better.
Dr. Alexander Gauland
Deputy Chairman of “Alternative für Deutschland”